Enjoy a narrated round-trip sunset cruise from Beaufort to West Shackleford Banks, plus an hour of free time on Shackleford Banks. Look for wild horses and dolphins!
Sunset & Nature Views on Harkers Island
Travel by catamaran with the sunset, sparkling sea, and playful dolphins as your backdrop during each 30-minute Harkers Island ferry ride. The captain gives this historical water view tour with a complete circuit of Harkers Island and a pass by Shackleford Banks.
Learn about the legends and local lore, with fun facts and information about Shackleford Banks, Harkers Island, and the surrounding areas. These tales of bygone days will be told by tried and true Harkers Island natives – born and bred locals who are well-versed in the stories, heritage, and traditions of these fishing and long-ago whaling communities.
Hear compelling accounts of the historic beginnings of “Diamond City,” a community of hundreds who lived on “The Banks,” enduring unruly weather and hardship only to be forced out by one final, vicious storm. Hear tell of testimony from your narrators about the Banker horses, the Mail Boat Run, Shell Point, and Browns Island.
After your first ferry, you’ll have a one-hour drop-off to explore Cape Lookout before your return ferry. While cruising, be sure to be on the lookout for dolphins swimming alongside and for the famous Shackleford Banks Banker horses.
Trips are offered at 6:45 p.m.
- What to Bring
- Drinks and snacks
- Insect repellant
- Trash bags
- The trash you make is the trash you take; Cape Lookout and Shackleford Banks are trash-free islands
- Two free carry-ons are allowed per person (e.g. tote, backpack, folding chair, small cooler)
- Pets are allowed on the boats for a small fee
- All pets must remain on leashes 6′ or shorter
- What NOT to Bring
- Glass bottles are prohibited
- Highly flammable liquids are not allowed on the boats
- Spear guns are prohibited
- Due to restricted space, large items such as wagons, non-folding luggage carriers, large folding chairs, huge strollers, etc. will be accommodated as space permits for an additional charge